Skip to Content
COVID-19 Update: Read latest guidance for Fall 2023 campus residential programs.

What to Bring

Wondering what to pack? What NOT to pack? We can help you with that.

Also on this page:

Room size & features

  • One telephone jack (A landline telephone line is available upon request. You would need to bring your own telephone and pay for any outgoing long distance calls.)
  • One overhead light
  • One cable television hookup (You need to bring your own cable.)
    • Cable service is included at no extra charge.
  • All residence hall rooms have wall-to-wall carpets.
  • Standard double room sizes range from 10' x 17' to 11' x 17'. (Davis Hall, Stone Hall, Alumni Hall, Frost Hall)
  • Each room has one window with blinds.
  • Window sizes range from 36" (w) x 73½" (h) to 41" (w) x 71" (h)
  • Ethernet (wired) hookups; each student has their own jack. (You need to bring your own ethernet cable.)
    • Note: while our residence halls all have wireless access, you may get better performance at peak times through a wired hookup.

Furniture already provided:

  • A bed & twin mattress (extra long, 80-inch size)
  • Chest of drawers
  • Wardrobe or closet
  • Desk and desk chair

What to bring:

  • Laptop computer—Please read about the College’s Computer Package and the requirements for all incoming students (including transfer students).
  • Alarm clock (pick a good one!)*
  • Cell phone
  • Pillows, sheets, mattress cover (for 80-inch, extra-long twin mattresses), blanket and/or comforter*
  • Towels & toiletries (shampoo, soap, razors, deodorant, etc.)*
  • Fan*
  • Mirror*
  • Wastebasket*
  • Clothes hangers*
  • TV cable (if you’re bringing a TV)

*Item may be available at the College Bookstore

You might want to bring:

  • Shower shoes and shower tote*
  • A USB flash drive*
  • TV set/DVD player (one cable hookup per room)
  • Study lamp or table lamp (Since rooms have only a ceiling light fixture, a study lamp and/or table lamp are extremely useful. Halogen lamps are not permitted)*
  • Surge protector power strip (Extension cords or power strips without a surge protector are not permitted.)*
  • Small microwave: Microwave ovens of 1000 watts or less and not larger than one cubic ft. in size**
  • Mini refrigerator: Energy Star-rated refrigerators less than four cubic ft. in size**

*Item may be available at the College Bookstore
**Item may be available for rental from the College Bookstore—email the Bookstore to check availability

Cell Phones & Long Distance Phone Service

A majority of students choose to use a personal cell phone on campus rather than setting up long distance service through the College. If you would like to have a cord telephone plugged into your room for on-campus use (all rooms on campus have one phone jack with a phone extension assigned to them), or to receive calls, you may request phone service in your room by calling 802-387-6714.

The College campus has cell phone service from most national carriers; however, Putney is a somewhat mountainous and rural area. Many students do well with Verizon, US Cellular, AT&T, or Sprint (although other services may also perform fine).

Bicycles, Skis and Snowboards

There are no storage facilities for large items such as skis, bicycles, etc. These items are allowed on campus, but they must be kept in your room. There are also outdoor bike racks available. While it's preferred to keep bikes locked on outdoor bike racks, if you don't plan to use your bike during winter, one option is to take wheels off and store under your bed. Limited on-campus storage for small items may be available—see Storage, Packing & Shipping for details and restrictions.

Cars on Campus

Landmark College allows students to bring a car to campus. You must register your car with Campus Safety and abide by Landmark College parking regulations as well as the policies outlined in the Student Handbook.

Registering your vehicle

All vehicles on Landmark College property, including motorcycles, ATVs, and snowmobiles, must be registered with Campus Security within 24 hours of the vehicle’s arrival on campus. Security will have a table at New Student Registration where you can complete this step. Otherwise, just stop by the Security Office on the ground floor of Davis or contact them at 802-387-6899 (from an off-campus phone) or 6899 (from a campus phone) to set up a time. You will need:

  • Valid registration
  • Valid license
  • Proof of insurance
  • Vehicle registration form that will be provided to you by Security

After submitting all of the above with a car registration form, you will recieve a parking permit to put on your windshield that tells you where you’re allowed to park.

What NOT to Bring

Items on this list are not allowed in the Residence Halls due to concern for the health and safety of our community.

  • Open flames or heating coils. This includes candles, incense, camp stoves, hurricane lamps, and lanterns.
  • Electrical appliances including but not limited to halogen lamps, hot plates, toasters, immersion coils, “George Foreman” type grills, toaster ovens, electric blankets, space heaters, sun lamps, and power tools.
  • Alcohol, alcohol containers, illicit drugs, or drug-use paraphernalia.
  • Explosives, firearms, firecrackers, weapons, volatile liquids, and fuel.
  • Decorations that hang from the ceiling of your residence hall room. (Posters, pictures, and other combustible wall decorations which are not placed flat against the wall or block or hinder entryways are not permitted.) Combustible materials may not cover more than 20% of each wall.
  • Extension cords and multi-plug outlets (unless they have manufactured surge protection devices).
  • Pets (except fish).
  • Wooden constructions (lofts) or overstuffed furniture that has not been pre-approved by the College.
  • Personal air conditioners.

The College reserves the right to have a student remove an item not on the list that is deemed a fire safety concern. If you are unsure about an item, email the Student Affairs office at BEFORE you pack it.

When you’re packing, keep in mind that all of your belongings should be able to fit on your side of the room. Also, the College cannot be held liable for any lost or stolen items, so use your discretion when you decide what to bring. If you are bringing valuables on campus, make sure they are covered under your parents’ homeowner’s policy, or you may want to purchase renter’s insurance or personal property insurance.

Back to top