Skip to Content

International Students


As the first college in the world exclusively for students who learn differently, our aim is to improve the experience of these students, regardless of their nationality. In this spirit, Landmark College welcomes international students to its programs. LC has been proud to enroll students from across the globe, including South America, Europe, Asia, Australia, and Africa. Our graduates go on to inform and improve the many and varied programs they attend after Landmark College, and our hope is that they will become leaders in a new understanding of learning differences in whichever community they eventually settle.

Student Visas

Almost all students who are not citizens of the United States will need a student visa to enter the U.S. In most cases, students who attend Landmark College will need to apply for an F-1 or student visa. The following checklist has been provided to help you understand and follow the steps that will be required to obtain your visa.

Obtaining an I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility)

Once you have been accepted to Landmark College, you should complete and submit Landmark’s version of the “Declaration and Certification of Financial Support” and “Account Verification” forms. These forms certify with the College that you have the adequate financial resources to pay for at least one year of study at the College. Once these forms have been received, the College will issue you an I-20.

Paying the SEVIS fee

All F and M students must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee. It covers the cost of establishing and maintaining your record in SEVIS. You may not apply for a visa until you pay this fee. Before you apply, make sure your Form I-20 information is correct. This information must match the information that is on your SEVIS I-901 fee form. To pay the SEVIS I-901 fee, go to The SEVIS fee must be paid before going to the U.S. embassy or consulate for your visa interview. (Applicants who are citizens of Canada, Bermuda, or the Bahamas, or are residents of certain other islands who do not need a visa stamp, must pay the SEVIS fee before appearing at the Port of Entry.)

Applying for a Student Visa

As part of the visa application process, an interview at the U.S. embassy consular is required for visa applicants from age 14 through 79, with few exceptions. The waiting time for an interview appointment for applicants can vary, so early visa application is strongly encouraged. Visa wait times for interview appointments and visa processing time information for each U.S. Embassy or Consulate worldwide is available on the U.S. Department of State website at Visa Wait Times, and on most embassy websites. Learn how to schedule an appointment for an interview, pay the application processing fee, review embassy specific instructions, and much more by visiting the Embassy or Consulate website where you will apply.

During the visa application process, usually at the interview, an ink-free, digital fingerprint scan will be quickly taken. Some visa applications require further administrative processing, which takes additional time after the visa applicant’s interview by a Consular Officer. Also, because each student’s personal and academic situation is different, two students applying for the same visa may be asked different questions and be required to submit different additional documents.

Each applicant for a student visa must submit these forms and documents as explained below:

  • Form I-20A-B, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status for Academic and Language Students or Form I-20M-N, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status for Vocational Students. You will need to submit the SEVIS generated Form I-20, provided to you by Landmark College.
  • Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160. Visit the DS-160 webpage to learn more about the DS-160 online process.
  • A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant’s intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions). If more than one person is included in the passport, each person desiring a visa must complete an application.
  • One (1) 2x2 inch photograph.
  • A MRV fee receipt to show payment of the visa application fee.
  • The SEVIS I-901 fee receipt.

All applicants should be prepared to provide:

  • Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended.
  • Scores from standardized tests required by the educational institution such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc.
  • Financial evidence that shows that you or your parents, who are sponsoring you, have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended study. The completed “Declaration and Certification of Financial Support” and “Account Verification” forms are usually sufficient.

Canadian Citizens

Canadian citizens are not required to have a U.S. visa to enter the United States, and as a result, only have to complete items 1 and 3f above.

You must present your I-20 form, your SEVIS fee receipt, and proof of financial support at the U.S. port of entry. The INS inspector will stamp your I-20 and issue you an I-94 card that indicates that you are in F-1 status. It is critical that you enter the U.S. in student status to be eligible for the benefits of that status, including on-campus work permission, optional practical training, etc. If you enter the U.S. without any documentation, you are assumed to be in tourist/visitor status and are not entitled to those benefits.

As You Arrive at the Port of Entry

Proceed to the terminal area for arriving passengers. Have the following documents available for presentation:

  • Your passport
  • SEVIS Form (I-20)
  • Arrival-Departure Record Form (I-94). This form should reflect the address where you will reside, not the address of the school or program.
  • Customs Declaration Form (CF-6059)

All visitors entering the United States must state their reason for wishing to enter the country. You will also be asked to provide information about your final destination. It is important that you tell the CBP Officer that you will be a student. Be prepared to include the name and address of the school program where you will enroll/participate.

Once your inspection is successfully completed, the inspecting officer will:

  • Stamp your SEVIS Form for duration of status (“D/S”) for F visa holders
  • Stamp your SEVIS Form for 30 days beyond program end date for M visa holders
  • Stamp the Arrival-Departure Record Form (I-94) and staple it in the passport

Following Admission Into the United States

Once admitted to the United States, you are required to report to Landmark College within 30 days of the date that appears on the SEVIS I-20 form to register for courses or to validate your intended participation. Failure to do so may result in serious consequences.

Transferring to Another Educational Institution

If you plan to continue your education at another school in the United States, you must complete and submit a Landmark College F-1 Student Transfer-Out Form. We will use this form to update your SEVIS record and release it to the transfer school. Please see form for additional details, or contact our office.

Questions? Contact us for more information!

For questions about your F-1 visa, I-20, and SEVIS record, please contact the Landmark College Primary Designated School Official (PDSO):

Michael Luciani
Vice President of Student Affairs & Dean of Campus Life
802-387-6703 (fax)
[email protected]

  • As an F-1 student, you have been granted permission to be in the United States so you can pursue a full course of study. To maintain your F-1 status, you must follow the rules related to your F-1 visa.

    1. Check-in with your P/DSO at the beginning of the semester to confirm your arrival.
    2. Enroll in a full course of study every Fall and every Spring semester, maintain good attendance, and pass all of your courses. If you are planning to drop a course, please contact a P/DSO.
    3. You may work on-campus only up to 20 hours per week per term. You need your P/DSO’s authorization BEFORE you work on or off-campus. This authorization includes any paid or unpaid internships, fieldwork, and practicums required for your major.
    4. Keep your passport valid.
    5. Complete your studies no later than the program end date on your Form I-20 or apply for a program extension with your P/DSO before your current I-20 expires.
    6. Inform a P/DSO if you change your education level (e.g., associate’s to bachelor’s).
    7. Complete a Transfer-Out form with a P/DSO if you intend to transfer to another College.
Back to top