Special Topics—The Body Politic: The Political as Persona in British Dramatic Literature (3000-level, 3 credits)
Check out our Education program in the Caribbean Islands, also offered in January 2020.
The 2020 London program is now under way! You can read about their activities on the program blog.
- Good academic standing (GPA of 2.0 or above)
- Successful completion of WRT1012 and one 2000-level literature course
- OR permission of the instructor
January 4 – 24, 2020
Primary goal: to explore the interplay of politics and society in British drama and theater throughout history.
- See at least three plays and visit famous theaters like Shakespeare’s Globe and the National Theatre.
- Learn about British society and politics by visiting various museums and the Houses of Parliament.
- Enjoy day trips to sites of interest outside London, such as Stratford-upon-Avon.
- Explore all that London has to offer by living in the city for three weeks.
- This program will include a significant amount of reading and writing.
- This program will be housed for the three weeks in the same hotel in London.
- With support from program directors, students will be responsible for most of their own lunches and dinners.
- Students should be prepared for a cold and wet urban environment.
This program includes a group flight round trip from Logan International Airport in Boston to Heathrow Airport in London.
- The outbound flight leaves Boston on the evening of January 4
- The return flight arrives in Boston in the evening on January 24.
- Landmark College will offer optional campus shuttle service to and from the airport. On the return, students will be able to move into their dorm rooms.
- At least one program leader will accompany students on each flight.
Cost for the trip is $6,000* and includes:
- 3-credit course
- Group flights
- In-country transportation
- Field trips and housing
- Health insurance for the duration of the program
- Breakfast every day at the hotel and three group dinners
Estimated additional costs: about $800 – $1,000.
Student spending can vary depending on the individual student. Additional costs include:
- Most meals: all lunches and about 16 dinners
- Free time activities
- Cell phone costs, if students plan to activate a roaming plan or purchase a local SIM card
- Laundry (there are laundromats near the hotel)
- Souvenirs, gifts, etc.
- Additional luggage fees beyond the first checked bag
Flights for this program will depart from Boston’s Logan International airport. A shuttle bus will be provided from and to the Landmark College campus. Some students may incur additional costs to get to the departure airport to meet the group.
*Limited financial aid is available. Contact Michael Mertes, Director of Financial Aid. The need-based Global Engagement Scholarship is available for students planning to study abroad (see the section on “Financial Aid and Scholarships”).
2019 Program Documents
In January 2019, Landmark College offered a history program in London. Students learned about ancient Roman Britain, the Vikings, the tales of King Arthur, and the Anglo-Saxons through site visits in London and on day trips to Glastonbury, York, and St. Albans. While the content of the 2020 program will be different, the documents from 2019 may help you get an understanding of the structure of the program. The 2020 program will also stay in the same hotel as in 2019.