LIT3038: Special Topics—The Body Politic: The Political as Persona in British Dramatic Literature (3 credits)
Academic Director: Adrienne Major
Program Director: Lucy Stamp
ConsiderationsConsider the following to determine if this course is right for your learning style.
Free time/Independence: MEDIUM
The program itinerary has class time and activities on most days, as well as readings and assignments expected of a 3000-level literature course. However, most days students will have opportunities to explore on their own.
Physical Demands and Accessibility: MEDIUM
This program includes some walking on city streets and in museums and historic sites. Some days will be long and may include evening activities. Access to public transportation is near the group hotel and students can easily access most sites via Underground or bus. Most, if not all, sites are handicap accessible, though they may require some maneuvering to reach the access points.
This program stays in London for the full three weeks, so students will not need to pack and move during the course. Daily schedules will be regular and predictable.
The group will stay at a hotel in a quiet neighborhood of London. However, visits will take them all around the city to busy urban areas. The program also includes visits to museums and historic sites, as well as attendance at several theatrical performances.
(Accepted students: please go to the very bottom of this page to access your confirmation materials)
Follow along with our J-Term 2023 LIT3038 students during their travels in London! Click here to read blog posts from the group.
- Good academic standing (GPA of 2.0 or above)
- Successful completion of WRT1012 and one 2000-level literature course
- OR permission of the Interim Dean of the School of Liberal Studies, Solvegi Shmulsky
Primary goal: to explore the interplay of politics and society in British drama and theater throughout history.
- See at least three plays and visit famous theaters like Shakespeare’s Globe and the National Theatre.
- Learn about British society and politics by visiting various museums and historic sites.
- Enjoy a day trip to Stratford-upon-Avon, birthplace of William Shakespeare.
- Explore all that London has to offer by living in the city for three weeks.
- This program will include a significant amount of reading and writing.
- This program will be housed for the three weeks in the same hotel in London.
- With support from program directors, students will be responsible for most of their own lunches and dinners.
- Students should be prepared for a cold and wet urban environment.
This program includes a group flight round trip from Logan International Airport in Boston to Heathrow Airport in London.
- Landmark College will offer optional campus shuttle service to and from the airport. On the return, students will be able to move into their dorm rooms in preparation for spring semester.
- At least one program leader will accompany students on each flight.
Cost for the trip includes:
- 3-credit course
- Group flights
- In-country transportation
- Field trips, entrance fees, and housing
- Health insurance for the duration of the program
- Breakfast every day at the hotel and three group dinners
Estimated additional costs: about $800 – $1,000.
Student spending can vary depending on the individual student. Additional costs include:
- Most meals: all lunches and about 16 dinners
- Free time activities
- Cell phone costs, if students plan to activate a roaming plan or purchase a local SIM card
- Laundry (there are laundromats near the hotel)
- Souvenirs, gifts, etc.
- Additional luggage fees beyond the first checked bag
Flights for this program will depart from Boston’s Logan International airport. A shuttle bus will be provided from and to the Landmark College campus. Some students may incur additional costs to get to the departure airport to meet the group.
The need-based Global Engagement Scholarship is available for students planning to study abroad. This covers up to 50% of the program fee, and 1-2 scholarships are available per program. Click the link for the application.