This Program was last held in January of 2019.
COM3041: Special Topics: Leadership & Facilitation
COM2041: Special Topics: Team-Based Communication
- COM2041: EDU1011/1001, WRT1011, 1000-level Communications course (or permission of instructor)
- COM3041: EDU1011/1001, WRT1011, 1000-level Communications course PLUS three 2000-level courses at C or above (or permission of instructor)
See “Forms, Fees, and Deadlines” for additional information about program costs and financial aid/scholarships, and to apply for this program.
Primary goal: to examine the design, management, and leadership of a variety of types of teams while exploring the culture, traditions, and natural environment of Costa Rica.
- Explore 3 distinct regions of the country:
- Urban (San Jose)
- Cloud Forest (Monteverde)
- Pacific Coast Beach (Playa Samara/Nicoya Peninsula)
- Use case studies to learn the characteristics of effective teams
- Participate in service learning projects and engage in a wide variety of educational and nature-based activities
- Other than the homestay (which may or may not have an English speaker in the family), there should be no real language barriers.
- Program requires the ability to walk +/- 2 miles on hilly, unpaved terrain.
- Part of the program is housed at a university campus that is alcohol-free.
2019 Program Syllabi: