Cities at War
(HU2721 & HU3721)
Prerequisites for HU2721: EN1011, F.Y. Studies, 1000-level Humanities course (or permission of instructor)
Prerequisites for HU3721: same as for HU2671, plus EN1021 & 3 2000-level courses at C or above
May 27-June 17, 2017
Check out our program blog
Academic Director: Brian Cohen
Program Director: Christie Herbert
Social Pragmatics Specialist: Andy Donahue
Primary goals: to explore the experiences and memories of the people of Berlin during World War II.
- Live at the ultra modern CIEE Global Institute in the central neighborhood of Kreuzberg
- Study social, cultural, and military history in the classroom, via digital resources, and at key historical sites
- Focus on German and Allied perspectives, with an emphasis on on "everyday" experience of Berlin citizens during wartime
- Explore "historical memory" and the different ways that Berlin has memorialized the war
- This program will be housed in the same student apartments for the entire 3 weeks.
- The CIEE Global institute has a small, in-house cafe and kitchen facilities on each floor.
- This program is designed as a study abroad (+), with a third leader who will provide extra social and emotional support.
Cost for this program is $6,000* and includes:
- 3-credit course
- Group flights
- In-country transportation
- Field trips and housing
- Some group meals
Price does not include individual spending money.
Limited financial aid is available; contact Michael Mertes, Director of Financial Aid.
* Discounts for students enrolled in back-to-back summer Study Abroad programs. Pair this program with Ireland.