Leadership & Small Group Communication
Prerequisites for CO2031: EN1011, F.Y. Studies, 1000-level Communications course (or permission of instructor)
January 2-20, 2017
Check out the program blog
Academic Director: Lee Crocker
Program Director: Becky Norton
Primary goal: to examine the design, management, and leadership of a variety of types of teams while exploring the culture, traditions, and natural environment of Costa Rica
- Explore 3 distinct regions of the country:
- Urban (San Jose)
- Cloud Forest (Monteverde)
- Pacific Coast Beach (Playa Samara/Nicoya Peninsula)
- Use case studies to learn the characteristics of effective teams
- Participate in service learning projects and engage in a wide variety of educational and nature-based activities
- Other than the homestay (which may or may not have an English speaker in the family), there should be no real language barriers. However, a 1-credit, pass/fail Survival Spanish class will be offered in late fall.
- Program requires the ability to walk +/- 2 miles on hilly, unpaved terrain.
- Part of the program is housed at a university campus that is "alcohol-free."
Cost for this program is $6,000* and includes:
- 3-credit course
- Group flights
- In-country transportation
- Field trips and housing
- Some group meals
Price does not include individual spending money.
Limited financial aid is available; contact Michael Mertes, Director of Financial Aid.