COM2051: Intercultural Communication
Check out our other summer 2020 programs:
Please note: this program has been cancelled for 2020. Please stay tuned for updates about future program offerings.
EDU1001/1011, WRT1011, and one 1000-level Communications class (OR permission of the department chair)
June 12 to July 5, 2020
- Study the relationship between culture and communication in multicultural New Zealand.
- Explore New Zealand’s distinctive urban, rural, and coastal landscapes with time spent in Tauranga and Rotorua.
- Engage with New Zealanders in informal settings as well as for structured projects on tourism and media.
- Understand the role of cultural patterns and verbal/nonverbal codes in the development of intercultural relationships.
- Recognize one’s own culture in order to deepen and broaden one’s understanding of self and the world.
- Check out the 2018 New Zealand Blog
Housing, Transportation, and Program Activities
- Stay in suites including bedrooms, bathrooms, and small kitchens
- Transportation will include private van/bus and public transport
- Activities include visits to local sites of cultural, historical, or natural interest, including Maori cultural sites, natural hot springs, and the Hobbiton film set.
- Flights to and from New Zealand are l-o-n-g (almost 24 hours from New York). Your program will start while you are still experiencing jet lag.
Cost for this program is $6,500* and includes:
- 3-credit course
- Group flights
- In-country transportation
- Field trips and housing
- Some meals
Estimated additional costs: $900-1200
Student spending can vary depending on the individual. Additional costs include:
- Most meals
- Free time activities
- Cell phone costs, if students plan to activate a roaming plan or purchase a local SIM card
- Souvenirs, gifts, etc.
- Additional luggage beyond the first checked bag
- Travel to reach departure airport
Landmark College’s “Global Engagement” Scholarship offers a scholarship of up to 50% of the program fee. Scholarships are need-based and in general there are 1 – 2 available per program. Applications are due Monday, February 24, 2020.