Database and Application Systems Analyst
We are seeking a Database and Application Systems Analyst to join our Database Services team within the Information Technology Office.
Reporting to the Senior Database and Application Systems Analyst, the Database and Application Systems Analyst is responsible for supporting the enterprise application systems utilized by the college and for servicing the community needs for information and system functionality. This includes business systems analysis and support, database administration, software maintenance and upgrades, information analysis and reporting, data integrations, and vendor relationship management for product upgrades, implementations, and problem resolution. This position, in conjunction with other IT colleagues, is accountable for the availability, reliability, and integrity of the enterprise information systems and data.
Essential Position Responsibilities:
- Participates in departmental and cross-departmental needs assessment and workflow analysis related to the requirements for academic and administrative systems. Defines business requirements, scope, goals, and deliverables in collaboration with supervisor and department liaisons.
- Leads Database Services projects to successful outcomes utilizing project management best practices.
- Develops systems enhancements, user interfaces, and utilities based on needs analysis with designs to maximize efficiencies and system and data integration.
- Evaluates, recommends, and implements new software modules, enhancements, and releases in coordination with others. Informs users of new features and functions. Develops or coordinates data conversion procedures as necessary.
- Provides application systems and database-related technical support and training to users. Provides second-level problem analysis and resolution to the HelpDesk. Installs or provides instruction to upgrade client software.
- Develops reports harvesting data from one or more databases as required by department users. Works to provide users with tools to build ad-hoc reports.
- Utilizes appropriate testing processes and procedures for new modules and enhancements that maintain data integrity.
- Develops, updates, and provides available end-user documentation including “how-to” procedures and frequently asked questions. Develops and updates technical documentation for customized enhancements and systems.
- Develops and recommends procedures and policies to ensure data and system integrity.
- Liaises with vendors to address system-related functionality, problems, and enhancements.
- Participates in system user groups or other committees.
- Researches and recommends emerging application software, tools, standards, and best practices to support more effective utilization, integration, and management of information systems.
- Participates in appropriate professional activities that expand abilities and improve understanding of developments in relevant fields through professional reading and participation in workshops, seminars, and conferences.
- Provides off-hour support for critical applications as needed.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in business systems analysis, application design and development, database administration, or related field.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in database and application programming/analysis utilizing relational database technology.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in SQL Server database analysis and administration.
- Solid understanding of application architectures, database architecture, .net application framework, IIS, web interfaces, and network systems.
- Experience with ETL (Extract, Translate, Load) processes and data migration tools. SSIS experience highly desirable.
- Experience with SSRS and other report writing tools.
- Experience implementing and supporting student information systems, preferably Ellucian’s PowerCampus and Self-Service, in a higher education environment.
- Experience with College Board PowerFAIDs financial aid system, Nelnet Quikpay systems, Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains financial system, O365, SharePoint and Powershell scripting - highly desirable.
- Effective project management skills.
- Excellent debugging and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with staff and faculty at all levels of the organization is essential.
- Experience creating end user & technical documentation
Working Environment/Physical Requirements:
General campus environment. Moderate to significant amount of time working on computer. Interaction with students, faculty, staff required. Occasional travel required.