Landmark College in the News
Browse from a selection of article links and newspaper clippings that outline Landmark’s history since its founding in 1985.
View the evolution of national media coverage of Landmark College that detail its unique educational approach in working with students who learn differently.
- College for Dyslexics a Landmark for Learning (Chicago Tribune, February 1986)
- Dyslexics Learn College Skills (New York Times, March 1986)
- Good Timers Need Not Apply (Time Magazine, April 1986)
- New College for Dyslectics Has Excess of Applicants (Los Angeles Times, January 1987)
- For Learning Disabled, A Door Opens (New York Times, Septmeber 1993)
- To Teach or Merely Accommodate (New York Times, April 2000)
- Paying Attention to Students Who Can't (Chronicle of Higher Education, September 2003)
- Learning With Disabilities (New York Times, January 2011)
- Learning-Disabled Students Get Firmer Grip on College (USA Today, October 2011)
- Manju Banerjee: an "Amazing Opportunity" at a College Focused on Students With Disabilities (Chronicle of Higher Education, April 2012)
- Bridge Program Offers Another Chance to Students Who Have Foundered (Chronicle of Higher Education, February 2013)
- Why You Need a Ped.D. (University Business, March 2013)
For history in the making, visit the Landmark College News.
The selection of clippings span the years 1983 – 2005 and are reprinted with the permission of the Brattleboro Reformer.
Windham Campus to be Back in Business (PDF, 275 KB) (August 6, 1983)
Describes the approval by the U.S. Dept. of Education for the purchase of the Windham College campus and the individuals who helped make it happen.
Landmark School Purchases Former Windham Site (PDF, 1.2 MB) (1984)
Commemorates the official purchase of the site and features a photograph of many of the key individuals, including: Putney Selectman (and now Vermont Governor) Peter Shumlin, Town Manager (and now College faculty) John Bagge, founder Charles Drake, and founding president James Olivier.
Teachers Spruce Up for Opening (PDF, 819 KB) (1985)
Recounts the hard work—beyond the classroom—of faculty and staff to get the Landmark College campus ready.
Landmark College Becomes a Reality on Sept. 17 (PDF, 63 KB) (August 21, 1985)
Describes the opening of the College.
It Was a Landmark Occasion for Three Graduates in Putney (PDF, 800 KB) (May 25, 1988)
Profiles the College's first three graduates and the first graduation in 1988.
Landmark Looks Back at 20 Years of Growth (PDF, 223 KB) (August 26th, 2005)
Presents highlights of the first 20 years of the College.
Landmark Gets $1M Grant for Training (75 KB) (October 20, 2005)
Announces a major grant received by the College from the U.S. Dept. of Education.