Frequently Asked Questions about Residence Halls

Answers to your questions about…

Single rooms
Room changes
Wellness Housing
Traditional-style residence halls
Apartment-style residence halls
Roommate mediation


Can I get a single room?

  • Single rooms are assigned on the basis of seniority, and there is a very limited number of single rooms available.
    • If you are a new student, it is unlikely that you will be able to get a single room.
    • If you are a returning student and you would like to request a single, it is very important that you make this request on the Online Housing Application and that you submit your application before the deadline. While we'll do our best to honor all requests, we can't guarantee that you will get a single room.

Can I change rooms or room with someone different next semester?

  • Yes, the transition from one semester to the next is a great time to request a change. It is very important to put your request on the Online Housing Application and submit your application on time. We will do our best to honor all requests.

Can I change rooms before the end of the semester?

  • We are unable to accommodate room changes during the semester. Only due to exceptional circumstances, and at the discretion of the Director of Residential Life, may a room change occur during the semester.

Does apartment-style housing or a single room cost more?

Where are the laundry rooms?

  • There are laundry rooms in Aiken, Frost, Davis, and Chumley A. Bridges apartments have their own laundry machines. Students may also subscribe to weekly laundry delivery service provided by E&R Laundry Services. More on laundry rooms & laundry service.

What is Wellness Housing?

  • Although there is a strongly enforced expectation that students will not use alcohol or illicit drugs on campus, students who choose Wellness Housing (Chumley and Davis) agree to make an additional commitment to remaining substance-free. Davis also has extended quiet hours, from 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.

What are the differences among the traditional-style residence halls (Davis, Edward Durell Stone Hall, Alumni Hall, and Robert Frost Hall)?

What are the differences among the mostly upperclass residence halls (the Bridges, Chumley Complex, and Aiken)?

  • The Bridges are apartment-style living with 2-4 rooms per apartment (4 singles, or 2 doubles), a kitchen/common area, a laundry room, and a split bathroom (one room holds a shower, one room holds a toilet and sink). There are four Bridges apartments per building, two on the top floor and two on the bottom.
    • Residents in the Bridges are responsible for cleaning their own apartment common areas and bathrooms. College housekeeping services cleans common areas belonging to the building as a whole.
  • Chumley Complex offers suite-style living with a bathroom for each suite of 2-4 students. There is a large shared kitchen on the top floor for use by the Chumley community, and there is a downstairs lounge area with TV and couches. Chumley B houses a laundry room.
    • Chumley residents are responsible for maintaining cleanliness of the shared kitchen. Residents receive College housekeeping support for maintaining cleanliness of bathrooms and common lounge.
  • Aiken Hall is semi-suite-style living with a bathroom or common area shared between two student rooms. Room combinations are usually a double with a double, or a double with a single room (3-4 students). The Aiken building has a common lounge, a laundry room, a medium-size workout room, and vending machines; these features are accessible by all students.
    • Aiken residents are  responsible for cleaning their own common areas and bathrooms.
  • Take a Slideshow Tour

What are the features of the Bridges and Chumley kitchens?

  • Bridges kitchens and the shared Chumley kitchen contain a microwave, stove, refrigerator and sink. Bridges kitchens are "mini-kitchen" areas and have a couple of cabinets, shelving, and a small countertop. The shared Chumley kitchen is a large kitchen with full-size countertops as well as cabinetry.
  • Kitchens are not supplied with kitchen utensils or dinnerware; however, if these items are left by other students at the end of the semester, we will leave them there if they're in usable condition. You may want to hold off on shopping for your kitchen until you arrive on campus, so you can see how much space there is and what utensils may already be there.
  • Photos of kitchens - see Slideshow Tour

What will happen if I don't get along with my roommate?

  • Residential Life has a Roommate Mediation Process to help support the students involved to reach a resolution. The basic steps are outlined below:
    • Step One: Roommates discuss the issue(s) to see if they can resolve it on their own.
    • Step Two: If the roommates cannot reach an agreement on their own, roommates can speak with residential life staff (either a Resident Assistant or Resident Dean) to schedule a roommate mediation to work on resolving the issues and establish a Roommate Agreement. Residential Life staff will check in soon after the mediation to see how the roommates are doing on their concerns and the agreement.
    • Step Three: If above steps have taken place and there are still irreconcilable issues, the next steps may be a) student with concerns moves; b) student not following agreement moves, or c) both students move. All room changes during the semester are solely at the discretion of the Director of Residential Life.

Office of Student Affairs
Strauch Family Student Center - second floor