Women’s Health

Health Services provides a wide range of women's health services. These include annual gynecological exams and pap smears, STI testing, consultation about contraceptive choices, prescribing birth control pills, evaluation and treatment of vaginal and urinary tract infections and information about the HPV vaccine.

To meet with a clinician call Cindy Brown at 802.387.1636 to schedule an appointment. All visits are confidential. Information cannot be shared with anyone without your written consent.



Frequently Asked Questions



What happens at an annual gynecological exam?

An annual gynecological exam should be performed yearly on all women 18 or older, and women who are sexually active prior to age 18. Many young women start college without ever having had an exam. The examination is a time to discuss each woman's general health, sexual health and is an opportunity to learn about one's body. Testing maybe performed for sexually transmitted infections. Based on a woman's health history, age and other risk factors, a pap smear may be done at this visit.

How often should I have a pap smear?

The Pap Smear is a test that looks for pre-cancerous changes by examining cells that have been taken from the cervix (the opening of the uterus). It is one of the best and most useful cancer screening tests, and is done during the annual gynecological exam.

According to 2009 guidelines, a first pap smear does not need to be done until a woman is 21 years of age or older, if she is not yet sexually active. All women should have a gynecological exam every year to review other health issues, have a breast exam and get regular STI testing, depending on age,  risk factors and history.

I may want to start some form of birth control, but what if I'm not sure what kind I want

Call Cindy Brown at 802.387.1636 to schedule an appointment with the nurse practitioner to discuss the various forms of birth control. Though birth control pills are the most commonly used form of contraception, there are other options: the Nuva ring, the IUD, diaphragm and condoms.

I already have birth control pills prescribed by my doctor at home. How can I get them here at school?

If your doctor practices in the US, he or she can call a prescription into any pharmacy in the country. Out-of-state doctors can prescribe in Vermont. Although we do not have a pharmacy, we work closely with the Hotel Pharmacy in Brattleboro. They deliver prescriptions once daily, Monday through Friday, to Health Services and you can pick them up here.

There are several ways to get the prescription to the Hotel Pharmacy:

  1. Your doctor can call in or fax your prescription to the hotel pharmacy. He or she must let the pharmacy know that you are a Landmark student and need the prescription delivered.
  2. Your doctor can send you a paper copy of your prescription and you can bring it to Health Services. We will fax it to Hotel Pharmacy, along with a copy of your health insurance.
  3. If you have an active prescription on file at a pharmacy at home, you can ask to have a prescription transferred to Hotel Pharmacy. Once the prescription has been transferred, you can get your renewals sent here. When you have a week's worth of pills left, call Health Services and we will call in your renewal for delivery.

Help! I'm about to run out of my pills! What should I do?

If you are currently taking birth control pills and there are no more renewals left, it usually means you need another appointment with your doctor. Here's what you should do:

  1. If your doctor at home prescribed them, call that doctor. He or she can call in a refill to Hotel Pharmacy until you can make a follow-up appointment.
  2. If your doctor will not give you a refill, schedule an appointment with Health Services here to discuss your options. If you run out of pills in the meantime and you are sexually active, be sure to use a back up method, such as condoms.
  3. If your pills are prescribed by Health Services, call us. We can call in a prescription for a one month refill, which will give you time to make an appointment.

How do I get Emergency Contraception?

Emergency Contraception is available in Health Services. If you are in need of it when Health Service is closed, you can get it at any pharmacy if you are 18 or older. Emergency contraception can be used up to 5 days after unprotected intercourse to prevent pregnancy. It is most effective if used within 72 hours of unprotected sex.