Frequently Asked Questions: Student Life

Who do I contact if my student is not getting along with his/her roommate?

You should have your student contact their Resident Dean (RD). You may also contact the RD to give them a “heads up,” though they will want to work with your student directly. Since students may never have lived outside their immediate family environments—and since they will be under tremendous pressure to adjust to college life—this is not uncommon. We work very hard to match students with compatible roommates using the information students provide. If there is conflict in spite of this, the Resident Dean will facilitate a discussion between the students about the issues and concerns. Only if absolutely necessary will we attempt to reassign rooms.

I would like to send my student some mail. What is the address that I should use?

<Student Name>
c/o Landmark College
<Campus Mailbox #>
PO Box 820
Putney, VT 05346

For packages use:
<Student Name>
Landmark College
1 River Road South
Putney, VT 05346

Where does my student pick up the package I sent?

When a package arrives, your student will receive an email from the Business Office (located in the Administration Building). Students can go there, sign for it and pick up their package.

My student is having trouble with his/her laptop. How does he/she go about getting it fixed?

Students that purchased their laptop through the college should take it to the IT Department Help Desk, which is located on the 2nd floor of the Library. They can be reached by calling 802.387.6800 or emailing Students who did not purchase their laptop through the college and are having hardware issues will need to have it serviced off-campus. There are numerous computer repair facilities locally. The IT Department can help students locate these resources.

Do students live off-campus?

Occasionally, students do have permission to live off-campus. The vast majority of our students live on-campus, though. Students interested in living off-campus should contact the Director of Residence Life to find out about this option.

What does my student do if they are sick?

If a student is ill, he/she should go to the Student Health Center on the 2nd floor of the Strauch Family Student Center. If the illness occurs after normal Health Center hours, Brattleboro Primary Care, an internal medicine group, provides medical coverage when Health Services is closed. A physician is on call 24/7.  If possible, students who are ill should notify their professors that they will be absent prior to the start of class.

Can my student leave their belongings in the residence halls over breaks?

A limited amount of storage is available for students who are returning to the Putney campus the next semester. Students who do not have a room change between the Fall and Spring semesters are allowed to keep their belongings in their current rooms. Specific written guidelines are available from the Office of Residential Life. They can be reached by calling 802.387.6714.

Can my student get a single room?

Single rooms are generally not available to first-year students. The College has a limited number of single rooms, which are assigned on a seniority basis. Students who would eventually like to have a single room are advised to put in applications early (and be patient). Students should ask their RD for an application.

If I believe my student needs counseling, can the College force or otherwise encourage him or her to obtain it?

Generally, no. Except in the case of certain life-threatening situations, the choice of whether or not to go to counseling is entirely up to the student. Parents who are concerned about their students or wish to consult with a counselor about how to discuss that concern or the option of counseling may contact the Counseling Center by calling 802.387.1636.

How do prescriptions get refilled?

There are two different approaches, each of which has plusses and minuses:

  • Continue relying on the prescribing physician at home.
    • Preferred when you have an established, positive relationship with your prescribing physician.
    • Preferred when insurance benefits limit provider choice and/or out-of-state provider access.
    • Requires planning ahead for appointments to coincide with visits home.
    • Requires making arrangements to have prescriptions filled at home pharmacies and getting them mailed.
    • Requires understanding your physician’s availability in case you have to report concerns or problems—or secure a refill prescription.
  • Establish a relationship with a prescribing physician in the Landmark area.
    • Preferred when your current prescribing physician cannot continue with medication management.
    • Preferred when you cannot get the support mechanisms in place to have prescriptions filled at home.
    • Requires planning and scheduling ahead.
    • Requires verification that both the physician and services are covered by your insurance, if benefits are a consideration for you.

Can my student stay on campus over the holiday breaks?

The residence halls are closed during most extended breaks to give us time to spruce things up and to give our staff a break too. A small number of students can be housed during the Thanksgiving and Spring break only. Students will be provided with application information during the second month of classes. The residence halls will remain open during 3- and 4-day weekends.

What cell phone service works in the Putney area?

There is service from most national carriers; however, Landmark is in a somewhat mountainous and rural area. Many people here do well with Verizon, US Cellular, AT&T and Sprint.

Does Health Services dispense medication to my student?

No. Students keep their medications and are responsible for taking them as directed by their physician.