Travel outside the U.S.

Before you leave the U.S. check the advisor’s signature on page 3 of your I-20, or the travel validation signature on the lower right hand  section of your DS 2019 form.  If the signatures are not valid, you will need to visit our office for a new signature.

Renewing US Visa

If the visa in your passport has expired, you will need to renew your visa at a US embassy or consulate before you can re-enter the US.  Visit your home country ‘s U.S. Embassy or Consulate for updated information on procedures.  You may be able to renew your visa in Canada at the US embassy or consulate.

Visiting other Countries:

For information about applying for Visitor's visa to country other than US or your  home country, visit the Foreign Embassies sites.  If your flight home includes a layover (a stop) in another country, even if you are not leaving the airport, you may need to apply for a transit visa. Check that countries' consular web site or the airline issuing your ticket for confirmation.

For travel advisories, check the Department of State site.

Travel to Canada, Mexico or adjacent islands

Automatic Visa Revalidation (automatic visa revalidation does not apply to everyone) permits F-1, F-2, J-1 and J-2 students/dependents to return to the U.S. following brief trips of 30 days or less to Canada, Mexico, or adjacent island (except Cuba) when the F or J visa has expired or after an approved change of status.

You may need a tourist visa to enter Canada, depending on your home country. Here is the procedure to apply for a Canadian Tourist Visa. You may find it most convenient to obtain the Canadian Tourist Visa before you come to the U.S. Contact the Canadian Embassy in your country for procedures.