Studying in Costa Rica
Leadership & Small Group Communication
Prerequisites for CO2031: EN1011, F.Y. Studies, 1000-level Communications course (or permission of instructor)
January 2-21, 2016
Check out last year's program blog (the course in Costa Rica last year was Travel Writing)
Academic Director: Lee Crocker
Program Director: Susan Frishberg
Primary Goal: to examine the design, management, and leadership of a variety of types of teams while exploring the culture, traditions, and natural environment of Costa Rica
- Explore 3 distinct regions of the country
- Urban (San Jose)
- Cloud Forest (Monteverde)
- Pacific Coast Beach (Playa Samara/Nicoya Peninsula)
- Use case studies to learn the characteristics of effective teams
- Participate in service learning projects and engage in a wide variety of educational and nature-based activities
- Other than the homestay (which may or may not have an English speaker in the family), there should be no real language barriers. However, a 1-credit, pass/fail Survival Spanish class will be offered in late fall.
- Program requires the ability to walk +/- 2 miles on hilly, unpaved terrain.
- Part of the program is housed at a university campus that is "alcohol-free".
Student Handbook (stay tuned)