B.A. Degree Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible?

eric matteAny student accepted to Landmark College is eligible to declare an intention to pursue the  B.A. degree. The student will then work with advisors and others to select studies and programs of interest in terms of strengths, graduation timeline elements, and competencies.

When do I formally declare the B.A. degree?

Before the registration period of your second semester (about midway into the semester), you will have a formal discussion with your advisor. If, at this point, you are in good academic standing (GPA of at least 2.0), and if you have accumulated at least nine Landmark College credits (with grades of C or better), you will be encouraged to meet with the B.A. program coordinator or others in Academic Affairs in order to declare.

What does it mean to declare a B.A. degree in Liberal Studies?

Declaring means that you intend to pursue the B.A. in Liberal Studies degree over the course of your time at Landmark College. Successful declaration means that we believe that you can successfully pursue the B.A. in a reasonable timeframe. You can then focus on taking the courses needed to complete the B.A. and organize a plan for when and how to take them.

What if I don’t have nine successful Landmark College credits midway through my second semester?

Successful completion of nine credits in three disciplines demonstrates your ability to manage the liberal studies curriculum. If you have a rough semester starting out, or if you come up short in credits by the midpoint of your second semester, we will provide assistance toward pursuing the B.A. degree option on a case-by-case basis.

What if I don’t have a 2.0 GPA?

It is important for you to have acceptable grades to be successful in the B.A. program (particularly in the upper-level courses). Of course, we’d love for you to have stellar grades. Still, if you experienced a challenging first semester, but it looks like you’re on course for success, we’ll be happy to review your plans on a case-by-case basis. In general, declaring the B.A. track requires demonstrated progress in credit-bearing courses.

Can I declare the B.A. in Liberal Studies based on credits I earned at another college?

We will assess your transfer credits and apply them, as appropriate, towards your B.A. degree. If you are able to transfer in 33 or more credits from another college, you may declare your intent to pursue the B.A. upon matriculation. Otherwise, you'll be set on a path to declare a degree once you demonstrate satisfactory completion of nine Landmark College course credits. This could occur as soon as the end of your first semester with us.

How should I arrange this meeting with my advisor and the B.A. coordinator?

Speak with your advisor about when to schedule this meeting. The two of you can arrange it based on your schedule and credit accumulation. However, if you forget to do this, or if you are unsure of when to initiate the discussion, your advisor will bring this up at the appropriate time. If you have concerns or questions about the B.A., ask your advisor or anyone in Academic Affairs.

What if I change my mind, or it is determined that I will not progress in the B.A. program?

As the first couple of years of the B.A. in Liberal Studies resemble our associate degree programs, you will be positioned to switch to one of these programs as desired or needed.

Questions? Contact us for more information!

Ann McCloskey, M.A.