Drake Center for Academic Support
The Drake Center for Academic Support (DCAS) endeavors to create an environment where students feel comfortable seeking and making use of academic support at Landmark College. It connects students with experienced faculty and one-on-one assistance to help them effectively refine their skills and strategies as they move through semesters of increasingly challenging academic courses. The Drake Center provides services and resources that help students to become more confident, active, and independent learners.
Students are also welcome to work independently in the DCAS to complete course assignments. The DCAS provides a structured study environment where many students study effectively.
Specific Support provided by DCAS*
1. Writing, Reading, and Study Skills Support
- One-on-one sessions of 30 to 60 minutes per day with experienced Landmark College faculty or staff.
- Support with all aspects of writing, organizing time and materials, active reading/volume reading, critical thinking/reading, note taking/revision, test preparation/taking, and strategizing for academic success
2. Independent Work Support
- A place for students to work independently and make up tests in a physical setting conducive to studying and academic work completion
*It is important to note that academic support at Landmark College follows up on instruction taking place in Landmark College classes and adheres to best practices of higher education.
Important Goals and Functions of DCAS
- Help students to improve and refine academic skills
- Opportunity for students to lead during one-on-one sessions, rather than being told how their sessions should be conducted and what they should achieve
- Work with students in a developmental way (more focused direction for new students; increased self-direction and independence for students in later semesters)
- Practice for students in accessing resources, advocating for academic support, and articulating their specific academic needs
The Drake Center for Academic Support is located in the East Academic Building on the 1st floor.
Hours during Fall & Spring Semesters
Monday-Thursday 11:30 a.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Friday 11:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Sunday 6:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Making appointments is generally recommended and is best accomplished by three methods:
- Dropping by DCAS during open hours to schedule appointments ahead of time and discussing your support needs with reception-desk personnel
- Calling DCAS at 802-387-6839 and leaving specific contact information for a return call
- Emailing DCAS at CAS@landmark.edu. (Please use email as a last resort!)
Want to learn more? See DCAS flier [PDF]
Office: EAB 103
Sandy Bower has a M.A.T., ESL, from St. Michael’s College, a B.A. from Hood College, and is a certified Wilson Reading trainer. She has worked at Landmark College for over 15 years in various academic capacities: as a Manager and Coordinator of Academic Support, a DCAS faculty support person, an instructor of First-Year and Reading and Study Skills classes, a Wilson Reading trainer, an Academic Advisor and an Academic Tutor.