Frequently Asked Questions

What disciplines are represented in the Social Sciences & Education (SS-ED) department?

Anthropology, Education, Political Science, Psychology, and Sociology

Does the SS-ED Department accept transfer credits?

Yes, pending their approval by the registrar.

Who may I talk to if I have really specific questions about the content and demands of a particular course?

Contact the Department Chair (currently Jim Cabral ext. 6828,, who can then direct you to the faculty member/s that teach it. 

I have had trouble getting in touch with my instructors outside of class in other educational settings. How accessible are SS-ED faculty?

Very. All SS-ED faculty have regularly scheduled office hours, and they routinely schedule alternative meeting times to meet individually with students in the event of scheduling conflicts. 

How are SS-ED courses sequenced?

First year credit courses are numbered in the 1000s. Follow-up courses are 2000 level courses. Pre-credit courses also have four-digit codes—they begin with the digits 09.

If I take an SS-ED 1000 level course in one discipline (say, Education), am I then limited in the SS-ED department to following up with 2000 level courses in that discipline only?

Not at all. Any student who successfully passes any 1000 level SS-ED course—or transfers in its equivalent from another institution—may take any 2000 level SS-ED course.

If I take a lot of courses in one of the SS-ED disciplines, does Landmark acknowledge this in its A.A. degree offerings?

Yes. Currently, students may graduate with an A.A. degree with a concentration in either Education or Psychology. The concentration is explicitly stated on the diploma.  Also, the SS-ED department is currently discussing the possibility of offering an A.A. degree in Psychology in the near future.


Jim Cabral
Chair, Social Science and Education Dept