Meet Mac Gander
- Ed.D. Fielding Graduate University
- M.A. Creative Writing, Boston University
- A.B. English and American Literature and Language, Harvard College
Professional Presentations & Publications
- “Teaching Students in the Age of Autism,” Southeastern Education Network Journal (2011).
- “Failure to Launch,” Newsday op-ed piece on executive functions and first-year failure (2010).
- The New City: Poems in the Form of a Fugue, 21st Edition (New York - 2008).
- "Teaching Writing to Students with Learning Disabilities: A Landmark College Guide for Teachers,"co-author, Landmark College (Putney, VT - 1999).
- "Teaching Developmental Writing: A Process-Based Approach," co-author, Teaching Diverse Student Learners, National Association of Developmental Education monograph (1998).
- Invited Presenter, Two-day workshop on LD and effective educational practices, Colorado Mountain College (2010).
- Invited Presenter, Three-day workshop for educators on LD theory and effective educational practices, Prince Salman Center for Disabilities Research (Riyadh - 2010).
- Invited Presenter, Conducted six sessions on various dimensions of learning differences and instruction, KIPP Schools Summit (2009).
- "Executive Functions and the First-Year Transition," co-presenter, National Conference of the First-Year Experience Initiative, pre-conference workshop (2009).
- "Understanding and Addressing Learning Disabilities in the Mainstream Classroom," and on "Effective Approaches for Teaching Writing," invited presenter, KIPP Foundation Special Education Retreat (2009).
- "Executive Function and the First-Year Transition," International Conference on the First-Year Experience (2008).
- "Addressing the Challenges of the Transition to College for the Disabled," co-presenter, Three-day workshop sponsored by the Prince Salman Center for Disability Research and Prince Sultan University (2008).
- "Meds, Parents, and AD/HD: What Service Providers Need to Know," National Conference on the First-Year Experience (2008).
- Invited Speaker, Dutchess Community College (2007).
- "LD, AD/HD and the First-Year Transition," International Conference on the First Year Experience (2004).
- Newsweek International: Reporter/Writer (1983-1985).
Roles at Landmark
- Professor of English and Journalism
- Senior Associate, Landmark College Institute for Research and Training
- Faculty Advisor, The Independent
- Participant in Academic Programs Strategic Planning Committee
- Keynote speaker for Landmark College Open Houses and Professional Visit Days
- Journalism and Culture
- Creative Non-fiction and Literary Journalism
- Modern and Contemporary Poetry
- ADHD and Writing
- The Social Construction of Neurodevelopmental Variations that Affect Learning
- Learning Differences and the First-Year Transition
- The History of the LD Concept
- Cultural History of Manhattan in the 1970s
- New York Mets, Giants and Knicks
- Nordic Skiing
- Fly Fishing